Since everyone in our family has been down with a cold, we decided a warm soup would be nice. My mom found this recipe from the blog My Gluten-Free Kitchen, and it is a favorite.
1¾ cups water
2 cups peeled, cubed potatoes (cubes about ½" to ¾"), we like red potatoes but any works
½ cup sliced carrots
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. salt
¾ tsp. garlic salt
½ tsp. pepper
¼ cup butter
¼ cup cornstarch
2 cups milk
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (cubed or shredded)
2 cups frozen or fresh corn
2 cups cubed ham (cooked)
1. In a large pot, bring water, potatoes, carrots, and garlic to a boil. Stir in salt, garlic salt, and pepper.
2. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are tender. Add the ham cubes and frozen corn. Reduce heat to lowest setting.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt the butter, then whisk in the cornstarch. Add the milk to the butter/cornstarch mixture and whisk together.
4. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add cheddar cheese cubes or shreds and stir until melted.
5. Pour creamy contents of medium saucepan into the large pot of ham and vegetables. Heat through over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until read to serve. Taste a little to see if you would prefer additional seasonings.